Colonial Training Home for Girls
Girls, taken from mainly from workhouses, were trained in domestic duties and light farm work for the purpose of emigration to the colonies. Supervised by Miss M. E. Eyton, this Home was located at Leaton, Wellington, Salop. They were sent out by the United British Emigration Association.
Gordon Boys’ Home
Named after a Crimean War hero, General Charles Gordon, this Home had its beginnings in 1885 in Woking, Surrey, England. There, they were trained for a variety of trades.
In 1894, a few boys were sent to the Gordon Home in Kingston, Ontario which was under the care of Reverend R. Hyett-Warner. After correspondence failed between the immigration officials and the Kingston Home, Reverend Tighe at Amherst Island was contacted. He had the boys under his care but refused to complete the required documentation and although he did continue to bring children to Canada for a few years after that, there are no more records of him doing so after 1895.
Using the financial support from the Empire Settlement Act, the Gordon Boys’ Home sent some boys from 1927 to 1930. Most were placed in Ontario.
Headingly Orphan Homes
Stemming from Leeds, England, this Home was founded by Mrs. Williamson in 1893. Some boys and girls were probably sent through Marchmont Home in Belleville.
Homes for Orphan Girls
Situated in Babbicombe, Torquay, this Home was established for girls in 1863 by a Miss Erskine. There, they were trained to become domestic servants both home and the colonies.
Ladies Association for the Care of Girls
Founded by Miss Ellice Hopkings, it was supervised by Miss Janes. Clubs to instruct mothers and teachers in the bringing up of children. Mostly located in industrial towns, the 120 locations helped poor children from the streets or workhouses. As with the Homes for Orphan Girls, some were put into service at home or sent abroad.
St. Chad’s Children’s Home
Situated in Headingly, Leeds, and run by the Church of England, the children were also trained for domestic service both at home and abroad.
In 1924, a provincial agreement was signed by the province of Alberta and the British government to send young men who were to receive specialized farm training including livestock, horticulture, dairy, trades associated with farming like carpentry and black-smithing and mechanics as well as farm management and simplified veterinarian courses. After course completion, the government was required to place them.